Cajun Shrimp Creole
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pod garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons salt (or less, to taste)
- Tabasco to taste
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
Make a light brown roux using flour and oil. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes over low heat. Add garlic, onion, green pepper and parsley and saute 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium and gradually add water while stirring. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer and cook for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. Serve over steaming rice. Serves 6.
A dish like this can be jazzed up to suit your taste: substitute a can of tomatoes with green chilies for one can of tomato sauce, for a peppery flavor; or increase any of the seasonings according to your taste. At any rate, you can’t go wrong, and you’ll thoroughly enjoy this longstanding Louisiana favorite!